ImportExportTools allows the user to export and import messages with more flexibility, with the following options:
Tools Menu --> ImportExportTools
Context menu on folders panel --> Import/Export
- export of folder in a single file (mbox format), with also the subfolders if you want;
- export of all messages in single files (eml format);
- export of all messages in single files (html or plain text format), with an index;
- export of all messages in one single plain text file;
- export of index of the messages in a folder (HTML or CSV format);
- mbox files import;
- eml files import;
- import of all the eml files existing in a directory;
- export of all files of all mail files of the profile (just from the "Tools" menu);
- search with various criteria and export messages;
File menu --> Save selected messages
Context menu of thread panel --> Save selected messages
- saving multiple messages in eml/html/plain text format with just a click;
Message menu --> Copy to clipboard
Context menu of thread panel --> Copy to clipboard
- copy the message or all headers to clipboard.
Context menu on an EML attachment
- import file in the folder
To install the extension, follow this procedure:|
- download the xpi file that you find in this page or in the homepage, right clicking on the link and choosing "Save target as";
- in Thunderbird, go in "Tools" --> "Addons" (or "Extensions") and click on "Install";
- pick the xpi file you downloaded and follow the instructions;
- restart Thunderbird.
- if the mbox file is not standard, you'll have a warning and you can try to import the file the same, because sometimes the import can work also with mbox files a little corrupted;
- at the name of mbox file, it will be added a random number from 1 to 999, to avoid coincidence of names with the other folders (from 2.3.3 version, this happens just when it's necessary);
- the files are imported as they were all of received mails, so it's shown the sender and not the receiver. If you want that it's shown the receiver, you must import the file as subfolder of the "Sent";
- you can't import mbox files in IMAP or NEWS accounts or folders;
- you can import EML files in IMAP accounts just with TB3 and version 2.3.3 or higher;
- you can import more mbox file with one click;
- because of a limit in filepicker itself, importing a big number of eml files can fail (if the total number of the chars of their names is more than 4096). You can bypass this limit, using the option to import all the eml files existing in a directory;
- from the 2.2 version, it's possible to import also messages saved from "View-source"in Hotmail website.
SMS import (experimental): from 2.4.2 version, it's possible to import SMS in the format generated by the programs "SMS Backup and Restore" and "Nokia2AndroidSMS".
- the exported file is automatically renamed, if necessary. You can anyway overwrite the files with the same name, if you enable this option in the extension preferences;
- if you choose to export all the mail folders of the account or also the subfodlers, will be exported all the folders that aren't empty file;
- with IMAP or NEWS folders, the export in mbox format will work just for the single folder, even without the "offline" option enabled;
- if the account is very large, the export can take some time, especially with IMAP or NEWS folders;
- in the status bar, you can see the progress of export;
- the extension can import and export the folders with their subfolders, keeping their structure. To export in this way, choose from the "Import/Export" menu the item "Export folder with subfolders (with structure)" and you'll have a file, with the folder name, and a directory, with the folder name plus ".sbd". To import, choose from the import dialog the item "Import one or more mbox files, with its/their subdirectory" and select just the mbox file;
- export of messages in plain text can be not perfect;
- in messages export, it is used the subject to build the filename, converting the not-ascii chars in "_". You can avoid this conversion, choosing the option about it in extension preferences (Note: from 1.2.1 version by default the extension uses the original chars).
- copy to clipboard, when it's possible, is in HTML format; if you want it always in text format, you can choose this option in preferences panel (Note: this can give compatibility problems pasting in other programs);
- export all messages of a folder, the files will have the name created by subject+index+date. If you prefer the order date+subject+index, enable this option in preferences panel;
- from 2.1.1 version, you can set the file time with the date of the message. This option is disabled by default and you can enable it setting the preference "mboximport.export.set_filetime" to true;
- usually export in HTML format reproduces the original HTML of the message, even it's displayed just as text. If you want to export in HTML respecting the view options of Thunderbird, you must enable, in preferences panel, the option "HTML format as displayed in messages panel". NOTE: this option can fix, in some cases, encoding problems due to bug 384127;
- from 2.2 version you can set predefined directories for export.
At the present the extension has italian, english, spanish, slovak, catalan, japanese, russian, french, portoguese, hungarian, dutch, korean, chinese, danish, galician, swedish, german. Some locales could be unfinished. If you are interested in traslating the extension in other languages, please do it through Babelzilla project.
- export folders with structure has some bugs and for this reason some features don't work well;
- some localizations could be unfinished.
The extension is compatible with Thunderbird 1.0 - 9 and has the autoupdate enabled.
Backup: from 2.6 version, when you use always the same directory for backup (with customized name), after the first time, just the files changed since last backup will be saved again.
This will make backups much faster.
In 2.5 series the backup function used a "modal" window; in 2.6 series, the window was set as normal. This choice is surely better, but unluckly it seems not to work properly in some systems.
For this reason it's now available the preference named "mboximport.autobackup.use_modal_dialog", that will set the window as "modal" if its value is "true and as "normal" if its value is "false". The default value - from 220.127.116.11 version - is "true".
Changelog 2.5 version
- many bugs fixed;
- option to schedule backup of profile's files;
- improved export of messages and folders from IMAP accounts;
- possibility to export remote folder and local folder with IMAP accounts;
Changelog 18.104.22.168 version
- fixed a bug about messages index;
Changelog 2.5.1 version
- backup now includes also mail folders located in not-standard paths;
Changelog 2.5.2 version
- fixed a bug about automatic backup;
Changelog 2.6 version
- possibility to export the messages in a spreadsheet;
- new options to save messages;
- improvement of backup function, that now has also a progress bar;
Changelog 22.214.171.124 version
- fixed a regression about import of EML files;
Changelog 126.96.36.199 version
- new preference "mboximport.autobackup.use_modal_dialog". It should be kept at its default value (false) and you must change it just if the backup window doesn't appear when it should;
Changelog 188.8.131.52 version
- the default value of "mboximport.autobackup.use_modal_dialog" is now "true";
Changelog 184.108.40.206 version
- compatibility with Thunderbird 5;
- more options in preferences window;
- new extension name;
Changelog 2.6.1 version
- the extension is now available also on A.M.O.
Changelog 2.6.2 version
- some GUI improvements
- fixed a bug in backup function;
- fixed a bug when mbox filename contains the character "#"
- fixed a bug with the export of selected messages with "Search and export";
Changelog 220.127.116.11 version
- different code for export in HTML or plain text format;
Changelog 18.104.22.168 version
- fixed a bug about folder name, when importing mbox files;
- added the preference "mboximport.import.name_add_number" to have always a random number added in folder name, when importing mbox files;
- new code for export in HTML and plain text format, that should be a good workaround for the crash problem with Thuderbird 5 and higher (see bug 692735);
Changelog 2.6.4 version
- possibility to export selected messages in CSV format;
- fixed some minor bugs;
- removed some obsolete locales;
- restored the possibility to export Newsgroup messages in HTML or plain text format (N.B. this could cause a program crash because of bug 692735);
Changelog 2.7 version
- fixed some bugs;
- possibility to export local folders in zip format (requires Thunderbird 3 or higher);
- possibility to import also emlx files;
- backup working also on MAC OSX;
- possibility to choose a charset for export in plain text and CSV format;
- possibility to have the index also for selected messages;
- possibility to export in plain text format, single file, also from search window;
Changelog 22.214.171.124 version
- fixed a typo that broke HTML export;
Changelog 126.96.36.199 version
- added again german locale (thanks to Piotr Niemiec);
- added a check to block import of mbox files coming from Eudora, since Thunderbird can't handle them;
Changelog 188.8.131.52 version
- partial compatibility with the storage system "Maildir" introduced with TB 12 (coming soon some specific documentation about it);
- fixed a bug with backup function, when there are directories under the root directory of the disk;
Changelog 2.7.2 version
- capability to import and export folders in "Maildir" format;
- many minor bugs fixed;
- capability to parse date field, formatted according RFC 2047, when importing in EML format;
- restored the correct header's format, when exporting in plain text format with Thunderbird 13 or higher;
Changelog 184.108.40.206 version
- fixed a regression blocking import of mbox files;
Changelog 220.127.116.11 version
- compatibility with Thunderbird 14 or higher;
Changelog 2.8 version
- options to export in HTML and plain text, with attachments;
- several bugfixes and enhancements;
- added polish locale;
Changelog 18.104.22.168 version
- fixed a bug in preferences panel;
Changelog 22.214.171.124 version
- fixed some bugs;
- new option to export in CSV format also from "Search and Export"
- export in HTML with attachments now includes also embedded images;
- possibility to activate a log (at present very incomplete). To enable it put the preference "mboximport.log.enable" on true. The log file will be in the profile's directory with the name ImportExportTools.log;
Changelog 126.96.36.199 version
- the "ImportExportTools" item is present both in standard menu and in compact menu;
- compatibility of the backup function also with the nightly versions;
- fixed a bug in exporting messages with detached attachments in HTML/text format with attachments;
Changelog 188.8.131.52 version
- fixed a bug that broke export in HTML/text format with attachments in IMAP accounts.
Compatibility : Thunderbird 1.0 or higher - Postbox 1.0b13 - 3
Download ImportExportTools (184.108.40.206 version) from this website
Go to the page at Addons Mozilla Org
A version for Seamonkey can be found at this address.