This extension for Thunderbird adds to the addressbook the following features:
- makes available from the addressbook all the records of the contacts (ex. address, country);
- adds to the context menu some items to copy quickly the addressbook data
- lets you to edit a contact as new, from the context menu;
- gives the possibility to import and export a single contact or a list;
- gives the possibility to import and export in vCard and vcf format;
- adds an extra tab with the birthday date, the spouse name (from 0.3 version), the last modified date and the category (from the 0.3.5 version);
- possibility to modify the labels of the 4 custom fields of the contact card (from 0.3.1 version) and associate them with vcard fields (from 0.4.0.1 version);
- possibility to import/export the addressbooks in the native format (file mab);
- possibility to recover a corrupted addressbook or deleted contacts (from 0.3.7 version);
- possibility to copy the card data from the contacts panel, with the context menu (from 0.3.7 version);
- possibility to have a fixed width for columns, with a horizontal scrollbar. Note: with this option enabled, the vertical scrollbar could not work properly and you could be forced to use the mouse wheel or keyboard (from 0.4 version);
- possibility to edit some properties in multiple contacts with just one action (from the context menu or clicking ctrl-0);
- possibility to search contacts also with "Category, Notes, BirthYear" fields (from 0.4.1 version);
- possibility to associate a photo to contact (from 0.5 version - EXPERIMENTAL);
- option to have phone numbers like "callto" links (from 0.5 version);
Options available just for TB3 or higher versions:
- added 10 extra custom fields;
- new options to add to the addressbook from the main window the recipients of a message;
- possibility to choose, per identity, addressbooks for addresses autocomplete.
From the 0.3.4 version you can manage the import/export functions also from Tools --> Actions (for contacts, lists, addressbooks).
For import/export you can use a text file, with a own format generated by the extension, with "thm" extension (for lists) and "tha" extension (for contacts), or you can use the vCard format (just for contacts).
The vCard format is a standard one and so it's more adapt to exchange informations with others applications; the "tha" format is more useful if you must copy contacts from Thunderbird to Thunderbird.
The exported file has the name of the list or the contact, but the special characters (for ex. the accented ones) are replaced by the character "+". Anyway you can have the original name, choosing this option from preferences panel.
Opening a vCard from command line: from 0.5.5.2 version you can open a vCard from command line with the following syntax:
Linux --> thunderbird -vcf <vcf file path>
MacOSX --> thunderbird-bin -vcf <vcf file path>
Windows --> thunderbird.exe -vcf <vcf file path>
vCard AND vcf FILES SUPPORT
from the 0.3.3 version this support gives the following features:
- open a vCard file in the new contact window (choose "Open vCard" from the context menu)
- import directly one or more vCards or also a vcf file with inside multiple vCards (choose "Import vCard/vcf" from the context menu or from Tools --> Actions for contacts)
- send directly a contact as vCard attachment (from 0.3.4 version)
- export a contact as vCard (choose "Export as vCard" from the context menu, after select a contact Tools --> Actions for contacts)
- export all the contacts of an addressbook or a list as vcf file with inside multiple vCards (choose "Export as vcf" from the context menu or from Tools --> Actions for addressbooks/lists after select an addressbook or a list)
These new features should allow to import/export with Palm Desktop and make easier the import/export of addressbooks from a Thunderbird to another Thunderbird.
From 0.3.6.2 version, there is also an option "Export as vcf (for Ipod)", that will produce a vcf file with multiple contacts inside, without blank line between them.
The import/export of large vcf files can take also several minutes.
The extension can export in vCard 2.1 and vCard 3.0 (default) format; can import both vCard 2.1 format and vCard 3.0 format.
By default the extension exports using, if necessary, the UTF8 encoding; if you want to import these vCards in programs that don't hanlde correctly this encoding (for ex. some versions of Outlook), you can choose from preferences panel, under "Format and encoding", the option "Quoted-Printable and native encoding" (present from 0.5.2.1 version).
From the 0.3.1 version you can modify the labels of the 4 custom fields in the contact card. To do this, you must click on Tools --> Labels for custom fields, in the addressbook window.
You can copy from the context menu the home/work address with the american format, choosing this option from the preferences panel.
Photo support: from 0.5 version the extension supports also - experimentally - photo for each contatct. Photo is associated with contatct first according to email address; if this is missing, according his/her name. For the moment, the extension DOESN'T resize photos, so I suggest you not use photo with high resolution, to avoid that program becomes slow.
Advanced management of "Category" field:
from 0.5.7 version, you can have a new advanced management of the field "Category". First of all, there is a list of predefined categories, that can be displayed clicking on the icon near the "Category" field. Moreover it's possible add/remove/assign one or more categories in collective mode.
If you choose the "Advanced" view in preferences, you'll have eight separate fields, instead a unique one; these fields can autocomplete the input, based on the categories list predefined by the user.
For the correct working of all these options, it's necessary that categories are separated by the correct separator character (default character for this is the comma).
vCard export and charset: if you don't use the "Quoted-Printable" format, from the 0.5.8 version it's possible to export contacts as vCard choosing the charset; by default the charset is UTF-8 e this is usually the best choice. Anyway some Microsoft programs are not able to handle this charset properly and this can cause some troubles with some characters. As workaround you can now use the charset WINDOWS-125X (the X stands for a digit from 0 to 8, according to the area).
It's possible to add other charsets for export, modifying the preference "morecols.vcard_export_charset_list".
From 0.5.8.1 version it's possible for import to set a specific charset o set it manually, when the charset is not present in vCard code. By default it's used UTF-8 and I suggest to change it just if it doesn't work properly.
It's possible to add other charsets for import, modifying the preference "morecols.vcard_import_charset_list".
The extension has the italian, english, slovak, hebrew, czech, french, polish, spanish, dutch, german, portoguese, russian, hungarian, norwegian, ukrainian, chinese , swedish, slovenian, finnish locales. If you are interested in traslating the extension in other languages, please do it through Babelzilla project.
1) TB alpha 3 has added native support for "Birthday" field. To be sure about compatibility with this, it's important that the birthdate is insert always with numbers only.
2) When you import a contact from a vCard, a generic address is connected by default with the home address. If you prefer to connect it with the work address, select this option in preferences panel.
3) The 10 extra custom fields available in the versions for TB3 or higher are accessible through the property "MFFABcustomX" (where X is a number from 1 to 10), of nsIAbCard object. N.B.:these extra fields can be used just on local addressbooks, not on remote ones (LDAP).
Choose addressbooks for addresses autocomplete: from 0.6.2 version, you can choose, per identity, addressbooks for addresses autocomplete.
You can do this from Account settings --> Compose and addresses --> Addressbooks for addresses autocomplete --> Edit or, in the compose window, for the current identity, from Tools --> Addresses autocomplete.
This should work also for LDAP addressbooks, but it's been tested just with locale ones.
Incompatible extensions: SJCall (because of a SJCall bug)
- fixed some bugs;
- new layout for some menus;
- possibility to export in CSV format selected contacts;
- inclusion of the extra fields in CSV export;
- option to add messages tags in categories list;
- added simplified chinese locale;
- option to let the extension handle the vCards in messages main panel (note: if you choose this option, the inline view of vCards will be disabled);
Changelog 0.6.2 version (TB 3.0 - 3.1):
- better support (far from being complete) in import of 4.0 vCards;
- possibility to choose per identity the addressbooks for addresses autocomplete;
- now also the field "Screen Name" is included in CSV export format;
Changelog 0.6.3 version (TB 3.0 - 3.1):
- possibility to add 5 additional email addresses for each contact;
- added swedish locale;
Changelog 0.6.3.1 version (TB 3.0 - 3.1):
- fixed a bug with labels for custom fields;
Changelog 0.6.4 version (TB 3.0 - 5):
- compatibility with Thunderbird 5;
- fixed some bugs;
Changelog 0.6.4.1 version (TB 3.0 - 5):
- better compatiblity with Thunderbird 5;
- better handling of additional email addresses;
Changelog 0.6.4.2 version (TB 3.0 - 9):
- compatibility with Thunderbird 9;
- possibility to choose protocol for phone numbers;
- possibility to have first name e last name with separated columns in main panel;
Changelog 0.6.4.3 version (TB 3.0 - 9):
- some improvements in graphical interface;
- better compatibility with "nightly" versions (thanks to Jonathan Kamens);
- fixed a but about import of .mab files on Windows with Thunderbird 5 or higher;
Changelog 0.6.4.4 version (TB 3.0 - 9):
- some small changes in graphical interface;
- better handling of telephone numbers when importing vCards;
Changelog 0.6.4.5 version (TB 3.0 - 9):
- fixed some bugs on Thunderbird 7;
Changelog 0.6.5 version (TB 3.0 - 9):
- option to have also the "Note" field in main addressbook panel;
- "sticky search" also for addressbook window;
- fixed a but about vCard format, in sending contacts from addressbook window;
- possibility to have a custom field in search contacts window (instructions here);
Changelog 0.6.6.1 version (TB 3.0 - 10):
- ability to search which addressbooks and list contain the contact;
- better compatibility with "Display contact photo";
- better code and fixed some bugs;
- possibility to choose the charset when exporting in CSV format, with the preference "morecols.csv_export_charset";
Changelog 0.6.6.2 version (TB 3.0 or higher):
- fixed two minor bugs;
- support for additional email addresses also in import/export of vCards;
Changelog 0.6.6.3 version (TB 3.0 or higher):
- fixed a bug with label for customized fields;
- support for fields "Spouse name" and "Anniversary" in vCard import/export;
Changelog 0.6.7 version (TB 3.0 or higher):
- fixed some minor bugs;
- possibility to have also "Notes" and "Last modified date (in unix format)" fields in main panel;
Changelog 0.6.7.1 version (TB 3.0 or higher):
- fixed a bug with export in vcf format;
- possibility to copy to the clipboard data from lists and multiple contacts;
Changelog 0.6.7.2 version (TB 3.0 or higher):
- better compatibility with nightly versions (thanks to Jonathan Kamens);
- option to have in autocomplete also an entry with all the addresses for contacts with multiple emails (you must enable it in Preferences panel);
Changelog 0.6.7.3 version (TB 3.0 or higher):
- fixed a bug with BCC addresses;
Changelog 0.6.7.4 version (TB 3.0 or higher):
- compatibility with Thunderbird 14 or higher;
Changelog 0.6.8 version (TB 3.0 or higher):
- several bug fixes and improvements;
Changelog 0.6.8.1 version (TB 3.0 or higher):
- fixed some bugs in displaying extra fields;
Changelog 0.6.8.2 version (TB 3.0 or higher):
- fixed a bug in displaying websites URL of contacts;
- the email addresses copied on clipboards are now joined with a comma, instead of a newline character;
Changelog 0.6.9 version (TB 3.0 or higher):
- better compatibility with the Thunderbird nightly versions;
- new option to import addresses from a raw text file;
- new option to copy all the recipients of a message;
- new option not to import contacts when the address is already present in addressbooks (just for import from vCards and raw text files);
Changelog 0.6.9.1 version (TB 3.0 or higher):
- fixed a bug in copying message recipients (missing "TO" field);
- update of some locales;
Download MoreFunctionsForAddressBook - 0.5.9.2 version (TB 1.0 - 2.0)
Download MoreFunctionsForAddressBook - 0.6.9.1 version (TB 3.0 or higher)